Kids and Guns: Iii Issues With Airsoft Guns for Kids

Editor's Note: The topic of kids and airsoft has been in the news because of the tragic death of Andy Lopez, a 13-year-old who was conveying an airsoft gun and shot by a police officer in California in late October. While the facts of that case are not yet known, the consequence gives all of us in the firearms community reason to pause and consider how we are educating the children in our lives nearly guns and what role airsoft games may play in the educational activity of children in regard to firearms safety and operation. At Personal Defense force Network, we mostly stay very strictly within the bounds of data regarding self-defense and avoid discussion of politics or other shooting endeavors. We do, yet, cover topics of firearms safety that relate to defensive firearms. The education of children in homes that take firearms staged for defence is a very important topic that we have not yet explored fully.

This article, from PDN Contributor Kelly Muir, is the first in a short series dealing with problems that families with defensive firearms and children under the same roof may face.

— Rob Pincus, Managing Editor, PDN

This is an image of an airsoft gun that looks like a real firearms and fires 6mm plastic pellets

"Airsoft guns" is a generic term for realistic replica toys or training devices that are fabricated to look similar real firearms and burn 6mm plastic pellets. (Photo by Rob Pincus)

A brusque fourth dimension ago, my teenage son and I had a disagreement over my unwillingness to allow him to bring together his buddies for a neighborhood game of airsoft. In our upper-center-class Midwestern community, it has become commonplace to see kids ranging from seven to 17 years old having airsoft battles both in their yards and in the customs parks. It is a primarily residential area where perfectly tree-lined streets, large yards, and 100-year-old homes fill virtually every inch of the vi-square-mile area. Sometimes the kids participate in airsoft games that bridge two, three, or even four yards. We are fortunate that our customs also boasts 1 of the everyman crime rates in the state of Ohio. Because of this, if a resident saw a youth marching down the sidewalk with annihilation that they thought resembled a gun, it is safe to assume they would probably default to the conventionalities that it was a toy rather than a existent gun.

Overall, this customs would probably non exist one many consider to be in bear upon with gun culture. Few folks hither hunt and a few more may have their allow to carry a concealed weapon, but in general, virtually residents are not very enlightened of the safety rules and regulations of existent firearms. As such, most don't know much about airsoft either. Even those who don't necessarily like kids playing airsoft in the streets tend to tolerate information technology in the same way they would tolerate a late-night pizza party, loud music, or teenagers screeching their tires as they pull out of a driveway. Most parents don't worry much about the safety of the kids as they play airsoft any more than they worry about their kids getting shot if they're trespassing in someone'south k to douse their tree in toilet newspaper as a prank.

Neighborhood Airsoft Games

So when my son asked my permission to participate in i of these neighborhood games, I initially allowed information technology. That was my starting time fault. Earlier I tell the residual of this story, it's important to understand that I work in personal defense. I am very familiar with defensive firearms. I clearly understand the safety regulations of firearms. And yet, despite my experience, I allowed my son to infringe someone else'south airsoft replica gun and walk to his friend'southward home to appoint in the game. That was my second error. In retrospect, I find that disturbing. It is very simple to say I should have known amend. The truth is that because I am ignorant of the airsoft move itself, I mistakenly placed information technology in the category of some enormously evolved Nerf guns. The "Side by side Generation" Nerf game, if you will. That miscalculation and my failure to investigate information technology were mistake number three.

Two hours later on, I pulled my truck upwardly in front of the immature human'southward abode to pick up my son. Almost immediately, three kids came barreling out of the backyard with these airsoft replica guns that looked incredibly similar to existent guns. Airsoft pellets were flight through the air. When a young man ran almost my vehicle, 1 of his buddies took a shot at him. He missed and the pellet came right through my open window, striking me on the wrist. I was startled. In anger, I instantly got out of my truck and went to retrieve my son from his position in the backyard.

This is an image demonstrating airsoft safety

Learning how to use a real gun properly will assist kids empathise the context of airsoft and airsoft condom. (Photograph past Rob Pincus)

I was so bothered by the kids carrying the airsoft unsafely, pointing them in different directions without regard to properties, and shooting into the street with no regard for the rubber of those passing by that I was literally shaking. When I found my son, he was more than happy to give me a big grinning, gather his things, and head habitation. Though I wanted to reprimand him, it was painfully obvious that he had no thought how upset I was or how many things I'd just seen that frightened me. In curt, he certainly didn't think he or any of his friends had done anything wrong.

Driving home, my mind raced. How could a young man trained in aspects of real firearm prophylactic allow himself to participate in something that so blatantly breached every rule he had ever been taught? How did I, as a female parent who works with real firearms on a consequent basis, not realize what they were actually doing? Information technology was a double failure. I opted to stay quiet during the drive. As he rattled on about how much fun they'd had, it occurred to me that he didn't make whatever connection betwixt the two very different activities. In his heed, one was truly a game and the other was life-and-decease. After seeing the "game" in activeness, it was clear to me that it would only take one mistake or misunderstanding to turn a fun game into a fatal tragedy.

That evening, I saturday down and discussed my concerns with him. He seemed to understand. Just but a few weeks later, he asked my permission to attend a late-night airsoft party in the neighborhood. When I realized that it didn't occur to him how dangerous that might be, I decided he was simply non capable of applying common rubber sense to the game at this point in his life. I felt uncomfortable with him playing airsoft in the neighborhood at all and chose that moment to let him know I would no longer permit him to participate in the neighborhood events in the future. In brusk, his neighborhood airsoft days were over. Considering it's the pastime of many of his middle-schoolhouse buddies, my new rule wasn't well received. In his mind, I was the overprotective, non-negotiating parent. He was angry and I was frustrated. Even I questioned whether I had gone too far.

Real-Life Tragedy

This is an image of an airsoft referee

Every game of airsoft should take a referee or safety observer who is clearly marked and paying attending to the entire surface area of the game. (Photograph past Rob Pincus)

4 days later, in that location was a tragic incident in California and a young man named Andy Lopez was dead. He had been killed by a law officer while walking dwelling house later on playing a game of neighborhood airsoft with his friends. The police officeholder had mistaken the airsoft replica firearm for a real i. Andy was 13, my son'southward age. Though only those shut to the situation know exactly what happened when Andy was shot, his death seemed to exist the outcome of something I referenced earlier — a mistake or misunderstanding that ended in tragedy.

There was collective heartache when pictures of Andy flew across the national media. Parents like me identified with him and his family unit, considering many of us could easily see our child in that situation. The finger pointing began near instantly. Some blamed the officer, others blamed guns, all the same others blamed social club, his parents, and fifty-fifty Andy himself. Equally I read all the unlike perspectives, I thought, is it actually that elementary? I don't remember so.

As a parent, I am perfectly clear that despite my personal defence force groundwork, my attending to parenting, and my experience with real firearms, I made three major mistakes on the day I allowed my son to participate with his friends. I was besides conceited. Beyond those airsoft bug I already mentioned in this article, let's not forget the fact that I allowed him to borrow someone else's airsoft equipment, never checked to see if the orange safety tip was in place, and didn't review the boundaries in which he needed to stay. I didn't tell him not to walk down the street with the airsoft replica and we certainly didn't hash out what to do if the police engaged them every bit he and his friends were participating in the game.

When people review the express information they have access to, information technology will be easy to "armchair quarterback" the entire state of affairs: who was at error, who should exist held accountable, and how the tragedy could have been avoided. While all that may spark some true changes, nearly will likely end up being provender for a heated argue. Simply arguing nigh the different aspects of the state of affairs won't create change, nor is it a respectful fashion to honor Andy. To grow from this situation and ensure that something positive comes of it, we must inquire ourselves what we all can learn.

Lessons Learned

This is an image of a protective helmet

Proper protective gear must be worn when playing airsoft games. Photograph courtesy PDT Teach

Personally, I have learned some powerful lessons virtually airsoft bug:

• Airsoft does not belong in the street, the neighborhood, the yard, or a park. It belongs but in a private facility prepare up specifically for airsoft.

• Airsoft is a game using firearm replicas. As a game, there are rules and regulations and, in this instance, laws associated with its use. Parents need to educate themselves and their children about those before they allow them to participate.

• While taking a firearm safety form is not necessary prior to participating with airsoft, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a kid complete one. When someone understands both firearms and airsoft, that cognition will help them to respect each.

• All equipment must attach to state and federal codes and stay in their manufactured states.

• Participants must consider the proper response if police enforcement questions their activity, and educate their children about how to answer properly.

At that place is no argent lining in this situation. It was a horrifying event in which a promising young man was taken from his family. But if his death has sparked conversations betwixt parents and their children about the responsibility of airsoft and the safety measures that demand to be in identify when playing, perhaps nosotros can keep something so tragic from occurring again.